My Photo
Name:
Location: Cheshire, United Kingdom

Older than I think I am.

Sunday, September 04, 2011

WW2 ARP Bike Lamp

DSC00508 by a1scrapmetal
DSC00508, a photo by a1scrapmetal on Flickr.

Found on the Knutsford car boot sale today for £3.50.
A bike lamp issued to ARP (Air Raid Precautions) Wardens during WW2. The idea was to stop enemy aircraft seeing you, as the light was directed down onto the road. The man who sold it to me said an old chap told him that he had used one during the war and all it did was light up the front tyre a little bit..and you couldn't really see where you where going.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

Nice find. I like the idea of just the front tyre being illuminated. Warden Hodges comes to mind - cycling into a ditch!

11 September, 2011  
Blogger Cat Donohoe said...

would it be a possibility to buy this from you?

10 October, 2013  
Blogger hazel said...

No sorry,,I don't sell my collection...I am sure you can find another one somewhere. H

10 October, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home