My Photo
Location: Cheshire, United Kingdom

Older than I think I am.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005


Originally uploaded by a1scrapmetal.
After the lightbulb find I was very pleased to find these valves.
They may have been radio valves?


Blogger Jonathan said...

We call them electron tubes.
I do find the entry under "valves" in the dictionary... "chiefly Brit" it says.
I wonder why we vary on this?
Who said, (something like this).. "Two nations, separated by a common language." ???

25 May, 2005  
Blogger michael said...

hazel said
You make something as dull as valves sound so futuristic and exciting....proffessor prepare the electron tubes for transmission.....
were as we'd say.
oih Mr..have you slapped the old valves in the radio.....Hancocks on in a mo'.

26 May, 2005  
Blogger Jonathan said...

You're the one posting them on yer site...
"Professor, prepare the electron tubes for transmission", sonds like Ren and Stimpy in space.

26 May, 2005  
Blogger hazel said...

I don't think they are dull..the name makes them sound dull..thats what I meant...electron tubes sounds so futuristic and exciting..
I think valves are wonderful of course.
I am no good with words..can't get what I mean across without the weird facial expressions!!

27 May, 2005  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Ah, I see...
but sadly, these "futuristic" electron tubes have been replaced with "chips"... no poetry there...
Never noticed the facial expressions... With artists, words are often second best...

27 May, 2005  
Blogger Ed Giecek said...

I remember as a kid that most grocery stores had a tube-testor machine with a variety of differnt replacement tubes for sale. You could take a tube out of your TV down and test it to see if it needed replacing. Then you'd ask the grocery clerk to unlock the machine cabinet and get out your new tube (valve). --ed

28 May, 2005  
Blogger michael said...

Ah, those were the days (eyes glaze over as he stares off into the distance)!

29 May, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home